- Your ErgoSuite, designed as a scalable solution, offers powerful easy-to-use employee and management toolsets carefully designed for small, medium and large employers. The platform embodies innovations invented and patented by SmartErgo’s team over many years under the review of a world class Ergonomics Advisory Board comprised of the world’s top experts in human factors and ergonomics. ErgoSuite stands alone with proven return on investment, repeatedly producing significant sustainable value for clients year after year (see Mitigation Results).
- This is data-driven office ergonomics risk management. This is an automated action-based platform which implements ‘your’ business rules and best practices and keeps you informed about all of the things important to you so you can identify and neutralize tomorrow’s risk today.
- What’s it all about? Click on the video above to learn all about ErgoSuite in just a few minutes!
A Foundation Of Bedrock
- For over 30 years, experts have studied office injuries and knowledge-worker productivity. Eventually, more than 30 of the world’s most advanced countries published regulations, laws and guidelines on computer-user postures and pacing addressing major risk factors including Awkward Postures, Recovery Time, Force, Repetition, Duration, Contact Stress and Optics.
- In the United States, California’s Ergonomics Regulations, covering computer use, states: “The employer shall consider engineering controls, such as work station redesign, adjustable fixtures or tool redesign, and administrative controls, such as job rotation, work pacing or work breaks.”
- In Canada, Ontario’s Guidelines on Office Ergonomics, covering computer use, states: “…workers often feel discomfort, fatigue, or pain long before they experience a musculoskeletal disorder. Recognizing the early signs and symptoms can help prevent more serious concerns from developing…” While over 300 pages detail the Guidelines, topics include hazards, workstation layout, training, micro-breaking, discomfort management, early intervention, etc… all focusing in the end on fostering good employee ergonomic behaviors for posture and pacing.
- In Europe, EC Directive 90/270/EEC (European Agency for Safety and Health), directly covers computer use, adopted into law in 27 countries, and states: “Train users and assessors. Assess workstations and reduce the risks. Plan rest breaks for computer users. Remind users to stretch and change position. Breaks should be taken before users get tired, rather than to recover. Short frequent breaks are better than longer, infrequent ones. Tell users what you have done.” Clarifying the threshold of computer use qualifying who is covered, it states: “People who normally use a VDU for continuous or near-continuous spells of an hour or more at a time.”
The Universal Problem, Identified And Overcome
- The informed focus today is on engineering controls (workstation) and administrative controls (behavioral) for influencing pacing and posture in order to effectively address top hazards.
- The fundamental problem, however, is that after professional workstation assessments, workstation adjustment and knowledge training, employees are then expected to adopt neutral postures and take appropriate microbreaks while working. This is wherem often, office ergonomics programs hit The Behavioral Wall.
- Our clients tell us that even with workstations perfectly adjusted and training completed, it is impossible to realize new behaviors including adopting neutral postures and regularly taking microbreaks without positive real-time behavioral training. Almost 100 years of Applied Behavioral Analysis and Reinforcement Theory teaches that human beings cannot adopt a new long-term behavior just from taking an awareness training course or otherwise just being told to do so. Instead, we all only learn to practice such good behaviors through regular positive reinforcement over time with the aid of select simple point-of-use tools providing behavioral training.
Case Study Mitigation Results
Click chart for performance details.
New! Overview Video: What's it all about?
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
- November 2019 Special Edition: SmartErgo recognized as a 2019 Top 10 Risk Management Solution Provider
Time-Proven & Effective